Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Font ResizerAa
Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
Font ResizerAa
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Search
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Follow US
Breaking News

SafariBet & Lollibet operations suspended by Gaming Commission

Latifa Carlos
Last updated: April 16, 2019 3:56 pm
Latifa Carlos
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

The Gaming Commission of Ghana (GAC) has revoked the licences of sports betting companies; Lollibet and SafariBet Sports Betting after preliminary findings showed that their operations contravened the Gaming Act of 2006.

The GCA has also commenced further investigations into the operations of the two companies after preliminary findings found that they had flouted Section 46 of the Gaming Act, 2006 (Act 721).

The Commission in a public notice warned that it will not be held liable if anyone deals with the two companies despite the revocation.

More Read

Accountability Labs Engage Birim North Assembly on Development Needs
How Africa can escape the debt trap
US lists travel, visa requirements for World Cup fans
Mahama to lead decisive Cabinet meeting over Constitution Review today
Ghana’s economy expands by 7.7% in February 2026 – GSS

Section 46 which deals with the revocation of a gambling machine licence by the Board of the commission states that;

46. The Board may revoke a licensee granted under section 43 if

(a) the Board is satisfied that the license has contravened or failed to comply with the terms or conditions of the license or a requirement of this Act,

(b) the Board is satisfied that it is in the public interest to do so;

or

(c) the licensee is convicted of an offence in relation to a gambling machine.

Confirming the revocation of both licences in an interview with Graphic Online, the Public Affairs Manager of the Gaming Commission of Ghana, Ms Beatrice Baiden said the licences will remain revoked until the investigations are over.

“The Commission is currently investigating, the operations of Safaribet and Lollobet based on Section 46 of the Gaming Act. If their operations breached the Act, the Commission has the right to revoke their licence of operation,” Ms Baiden said.

Lollibet

In the case of Lord of the Bet which trades under the name Lollibet, a GCG notice said it has not been issued with a gaming licence and cannot operate any games of chance in the country till further notice.

“The general public is hereby advised not to conduct any form of betting on Lollibet’s platform or at any of their shops and branches,” the statement said.

SafariBet

For African Gaming and Entertainment which trades as SafariBet Sports Betting, reasons were not provided for their ban but the Commission has warned that anyone who deals with both companies does so at their own risk.

“The general public is hereby advised not to conduct any form of betting on Safaribet’s Betting platform or at any of their shops and branches,” the statement said.

However, it will be recalled that a bet winner with Safaribet, Mr Theophilus Morgan petitioned the Commission over Ghȼ57 million bet winnings.

According to Mr Morgan, he placed a bet which ran from November 7 – November 11, 2018, and involved 24 games which he repeated for 220 times, all of which resulted in a win.

 

His predictions comprised of games from EPL, Champions League, Italian Serie A and Europa League.

He said he was getting ready to withdraw his money only to realise his account had been blocked by the betting company, SafariBet.

Morgan then stormed one of the offices of SafariBet to find out why his account has been blocked after several hours at the offices.
His account was reactivated again, only for the betting company to reduce his actual win from Ghȼ57 million to Ghȼ286,991.

Source: Graphiconline
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

Latest News

President Mahama urges African leaders to unite in tackling healthcare challenges
May 13, 2026
Chinese mining firm targets Ewoyaa lithium takeover in $210m deal
May 7, 2026
Ghana now 8th biggest economy in Africa
May 7, 2026
Mahama, appointees donate GH¢6.1m to Mahama Cares Fund
May 7, 2026
Mawuedem Solution Supports Communities in Volta Region with Relief Items
May 6, 2026
Callistus Mahama warns against early succession talks, urges discipline and focus on governance
May 6, 2026
Ghana rises to 39th in Press Freedom Index amid structural challenges
May 6, 2026

You Might Also Like

Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Water Justice Network Pushes for Affordable, Inclusive Water Systems

May 4, 2026
Breaking NewsBusinesstop stories

Overall cost pressures in construction are easing – Government Statistician

April 30, 2026
Breaking NewsDevelopment Agendatop stories

Ghana can’t industrialise without power, water – Nii Moi Thompson

April 30, 2026
Breaking NewsHealthtop stories

Ghana walks away from US health agreement over sensitive data concerns

April 28, 2026

About Us

Public Agenda is fou­nded and owned by Pu­blic Agenda Communic­ations.

Public Agenda was founded as a public interest Me­dia entity. Its Visi­on is to contribute to building a well-i­nformed society where accurate informati­on dissemination is the cornerstone of a democratic, just and equitable society.

Its mission is to inform, guide and bui­ld responsible citiz­enship and accountab­le decision making and strive for excell­ence in the media in­dustry. Public Agenda Communications is managed by a Board of Directors.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?