Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Font ResizerAa
Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
Font ResizerAa
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Search
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Follow US
Breaking NewsGeneral News

Death toll from Upper East Region downpour hits 29

Latifa Carlos
Last updated: October 17, 2019 6:28 pm
Latifa Carlos
Share
2 Min Read
SHARE

Two more people have been confirmed dead following the torrential rainfall that hit the Upper East Region recently.

This brings the death toll so far to 29.

A total of 1,384 houses have totally collapsed while 2,658 others have partially collapsed.

More Read

MTN Group CEO & President, Ralph Mupita
Africa poised to lead global digital finance evolution — MTN CEO
Ghana risks outsourcing economic sovereignty under IMF PCI deal — ISODEC
Accountability Labs Engage Birim North Assembly on Development Needs
How Africa can escape the debt trap
US lists travel, visa requirements for World Cup fans

The Upper East Regional Directorate of the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) says it is still assessing the situation in order to swiftly respond to the needs of affected victims.

Meanwhile, the Deputy Upper East Regional Minister Frank Adongo Fuseini and Northern Regional Minister are expected to visit some of the affected areas this afternoon.

Mr. Fuseini had said the rains in the region caught them by surprise despite the Ghana Meteorological Agency’s warnings.

He admitted that the region delayed in putting in place adequate contingency measures for the torrential rainfall.

“We had warnings from the National Security and the Ghana Meteo Agency many months ago. It came late because the time that we expected that the rains would come, it didn’t come so this one took us by surprise.”

He added that the Regional Coordinating Council may have to seek external support if the rains continue.

“The NADMO officials are still on standby because some of the rivers are still full to capacity.  We have logistical constraints in terms of rescue operations. We are still trying to assess the situation to see if the rains will come again. If it doesn’t, then we will be able to contain the situation but if we receive a warning from Meteo about more rains then we will have to ask for external support”.

Aside from deaths, there have been 19 reported injuries after the torrential rains in the region.

Most of the deaths from the torrential rainfall were recorded in the Kassena Nankana West district.

The worst-hit districts are the Builsa North, Builsa South, Kassena Nankana Municipal, Kassena Nankana West and Binduri.

Source: Citinewsroom

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

Latest News

A choked drainage system in Oyibi
Recurring Floods Continue to Threaten Lives and Property in Oyibi Community
May 20, 2026
Mahama to lead decisive Cabinet meeting over Constitution Review today
May 14, 2026
Ghana’s economy expands by 7.7% in February 2026 – GSS
May 13, 2026
President Mahama urges African leaders to unite in tackling healthcare challenges
May 13, 2026
Chinese mining firm targets Ewoyaa lithium takeover in $210m deal
May 7, 2026
Ghana now 8th biggest economy in Africa
May 7, 2026
Mahama, appointees donate GH¢6.1m to Mahama Cares Fund
May 7, 2026

You Might Also Like

Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Mawuedem Solution Supports Communities in Volta Region with Relief Items

May 6, 2026
Breaking NewsPoliticstop stories

Callistus Mahama warns against early succession talks, urges discipline and focus on governance

May 6, 2026
Breaking NewsFeatures & Opinionstop stories

Ghana rises to 39th in Press Freedom Index amid structural challenges

May 6, 2026
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Water Justice Network Pushes for Affordable, Inclusive Water Systems

May 4, 2026

About Us

Public Agenda is fou­nded and owned by Pu­blic Agenda Communic­ations.

Public Agenda was founded as a public interest Me­dia entity. Its Visi­on is to contribute to building a well-i­nformed society where accurate informati­on dissemination is the cornerstone of a democratic, just and equitable society.

Its mission is to inform, guide and bui­ld responsible citiz­enship and accountab­le decision making and strive for excell­ence in the media in­dustry. Public Agenda Communications is managed by a Board of Directors.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?