Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Font ResizerAa
Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
Font ResizerAa
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Search
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Follow US
Breaking NewsGeneral News

Human attitude responsible for 70% of floods – Deputy NADMO Director

Latifa Carlos
Last updated: April 16, 2019 4:38 pm
Latifa Carlos
Share
4 Min Read
Abu Ramadan
Abu Ramadan
SHARE

A Deputy Director General of the National Disaster Management Organisation [NADMO] has said that there cannot be a lasting solution to floods in Ghana until there is attitudinal change.

Mr. Abu Ramadan speaking on the Joy FM’s Super Morning Show Tuesday said human element contributes 60% to 70% of floods in the country.

“There may not be a lasting solution,” said Ramadan. “The reason why I say that is; we can do everything we want to do, spend billions of dollars in restructuring our drains and everything but if the attitude of the Ghanaian does not change it still comes to zero.

More Read

ABANTU Engages Unsuccessful Women Parliamentary Candidates to Strengthen Political Participation in Ghana
Pakistan unveils 7-point plan for Gaza peace at OIC summit
Bagre Dam Spillage claims life of farmer
Ghana and Nigeria explore electricity for gas barter agreement
Ghana drops to 61st in 2025 Global Peace Index

“In Ghana we do not have natural disasters, in terms of rains and all that, they are all manmade and human-made by virtue of our own attitude and the ways we do our things. This contributes to the flooding that you see,” Mr. Ramadam told Joy FM’s host.

Citing an example with the reconstruction of the Wagya drain that government awarded last year for expansion, he said “if we end up doing the same things by putting in filth, putting plastic into the drains, we will end up chocking the drain and prevent water flow.”

Ramadan’s comments come at a time the Head of Forecast at the Meteorological Agency, Joseph Portuphy, has said Ghanaians should brace themselves for more rainfall in the middle belt and coastal areas.

Floods in the capital and other parts of the country have claimed over 10 lives this month.

A total of seven bodies were retrieved from flood waters at different parts of the capital following heavy rains on Sunday, April 14, 2019

The National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) said four of the seven bodies were recovered from flood waters at Adjei-Kojo, a suburb of Accra.

The bodies of a husband and wife – both military officers – were among the seven retrieved from flood waters by NADMO after the Sunday rains.

S/Sgt Arthur Jabez, 45, and his wife WO Sarah Kuadzi, 40, were travelling in a military pick-up truck from a funeral in Tema when their vehicle got caught in the flood waters at a suburb along the motorway known as Adjei-Kojo.

These deaths bring the total number of lives lost to 12 as a result of floods in Accra in just a week.

Similar downpour on April 7 also claimed five lives.

NADMO is still searching for the bodies of a six-year-old boy and an adult male who were swept away by flood waters at Sakaman and Ablekuma, respectively.

The bodies of man who was pushed into the Odaw River around the Kwame Nkrumah Interchange and that of the 11-month old baby is also being searched for.

Meanwhile, the government said it has allocated ¢197 million for the desilting choked drains and other drainage works in the country.

Addressing the press in a joint interaction between her Ministry and the Greater Accra Metropolitan Water and Sanitation Projects, Cecelia Dapaah said the contract for the works has already been awarded by the Ministry of Works and Housing.

 

Source: Myjoyonline.com

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

Latest News

Charles Abugre Chairs MiDA Board
August 22, 2025
Ghana cedi is world’s best-performing currency – Mahama tells investors in Japan
August 20, 2025
PAC Faults Communications Ministry Over Missing $6m
August 20, 2025
Burkina Faso’s junta expels top UN official over child rights report
August 19, 2025
OSP report: 17 of the most explosive cases now under full investigation
August 19, 2025
Ghana launches nationwide GPS network to modernize land administration, end land disputes
August 19, 2025
Big pay day for Bondholders as gov’t disburses GH¢9.7bn
August 19, 2025

You Might Also Like

Breaking Newstop storiesWorld News

US State Department revokes 6,000 student visas

August 19, 2025
Breaking NewsDevelopment Agendatop stories

Anti-corruption fight needs collective action, not silos – Mary Addah

August 19, 2025

Police invite political parties for talks on election violence and Akwatia by-election

August 18, 2025
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Mahama grants amnesty to 998 prisoners

August 18, 2025

About Us

Public Agenda is fou­nded and owned by Pu­blic Agenda Communic­ations.

Public Agenda was founded as a public interest Me­dia entity. Its Visi­on is to contribute to building a well-i­nformed society where accurate informati­on dissemination is the cornerstone of a democratic, just and equitable society.

Its mission is to inform, guide and bui­ld responsible citiz­enship and accountab­le decision making and strive for excell­ence in the media in­dustry. Public Agenda Communications is managed by a Board of Directors.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?