Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Font ResizerAa
Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
Font ResizerAa
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Search
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Follow US
Breaking NewsGeneral News

Bagre Dam spillage: Lives under threat in the north

Latifa Carlos
Last updated: September 4, 2018 2:22 pm
Latifa Carlos
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

A humanitarian crisis is looming in a number of communities in northern Ghana, particularly areas along the White Volta and the Black Volta, following the spilling of excess water from the Bagre Dam in Burkina Faso.

“Swathes of farmlands have been consumed by flood waters and lives are under threat. The situation is very bad,” the Director-General of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Mr Eric Nana Agyemang Prempeh, told the Daily Graphic yesterday.

He added, however, that no life had been lost.

More Read

Karpowership Ghana trains fisherfolk on fire safety, hygiene and financial management
Unforced Error! Contradictions of the Government’s PCI Decision
14 clandestine miners killed in disused South Africa mine
NAIMOS launches major operation to clear illegal mining along Birim River
IMF urges Ghana to sustain quarterly electricity tariff adjustments‎

He could also not readily provide figures on the number of displaced persons and the extent of damage to farms and property.

The NADMO boss said the water level was very high, saying: “It’s 100 per cent, which has been compounded by the flooding of rivers following heavy rains in the north.”

In spite of that, he gave an assurance that his outfit was working extra hard to mitigate the plight of those affected by the situation.

NADMO on the ground

“Our team is on the ground working very hard and I just returned from the area to work on additional relief items for displaced people,” Nana Agyemang Prempeh stated.

Before the spillage last year, NADMO had estimated that over 200,000 people in communities along the White Volta and the Black Volta were expected to be affected.

The authorities in Burkina Faso began the spillage last Friday and the water was expected to get to Ghana within 72 hours at the pace of 95.4 cubic metres per second at which the Burkina Faso power company, Sonabel, said the water was moving.

Earlier signal

As has become the tradition, NADMO issued a flood alert ahead of the opening of the dam this year and warned residents along the two rivers that the combined effects of rising water levels in the White Volta and the opening of the dam could leave thousands of people affected by flooding and, therefore, urged the residents to move their valuables to higher ground for their safety.

It said it was collaborating with various bodies, including United Nations (UN) agencies, the 48 Engineers Regiment of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF), the Police Service, the Fire Service, the National Ambulance Service, the Meteorological Service Department and district assemblies in the affected communities, to help mitigate the effect of the spillage on the people.

Talensi

Already, some farmers in some communities in the Talensi District in the Upper East Region have begun experiencing the effects of the spillage.

According to the Talensi District Coordinator of NADMO, Mr Mahama Ken Kazar, about 700 farmers in 11 communities in the district had had their farmlands submerged, while about 2,700 acres of farmlands, made up of maize, millet, rice and yellow melon, had been submerged.

The affected communities, he said, included Pwalugu, Winkogo, Vung, Yinduri and Tolla.

Mr Kazar said “normally when the dam is spilled, our farmers start seeing visible signs of it when it reads 650 centimetres on the White Volta River gauge”.

He indicated that last Sunday, the water level read 829 centimetres, adding that as of yesterday the level on the gauge read 870 centimetres.

The coordinator explained that if the level rose above 920 centimetres, it would lead to further disaster.

The situation, he claimed, had been exacerbated by torrential rains which, on August 7, 2018 in particular, flooded many farmlands.

One of the affected farmers at Pwalugu, Mr Vincent Atinga, told the Daily Graphic that all his crops were submerged with just about two weeks for him to harvest some of the crops.

A 25-member team of experts and technical people has been deployed to the Northern and the Upper East regions in an operation code-named “Thunderbolt” to ensure that rescue missions are successfully carried out.

 

Source: Graphic.com.gh

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

Recent Posts

  • Karpowership Ghana trains fisherfolk on fire safety, hygiene and financial management
  • Unforced Error! Contradictions of the Government’s PCI Decision
  • 14 clandestine miners killed in disused South Africa mine
  • NAIMOS launches major operation to clear illegal mining along Birim River
  • IMF urges Ghana to sustain quarterly electricity tariff adjustments‎
  • Oil prices fall on hopes Strait of Hormuz could reopen
  • Bekwai residents give Chinese quarry firm one-week ultimatum over blasting, environmental concerns
  • Veteran Nigerian Environmental Journalist Tunde Akingbade Dies at 67
  • AWSP Welcomes Government Decision to Restore Achimota Forest Reserve
  • Finance Minister presents mid-year budget review today
  • ECOWAS reaffirms plans to launch single currency in 2027
  • Parliament approves $300m loan for SHS infrastructure expansion
  • Court convicts Wontumi on six illegal mining charges over Samreboi concession
  • Gov’t to build 50,000 houses for teachers – Haruna Iddrisu
  • Honour Ghana, TI-Ghana Partner to Promote Integrity and Values-Based Education
  • ISODEC: Community Water Boards Exchange Best Practices to Strengthen Local Water Management
  • Community Voices Strengthened as ISODEC Successfully Concludes AVID II Project in Mfantseman Municipality
  • UK scraps £45 million girls’ education programme

You Might Also Like

Breaking NewsBusinesstop stories

Oil prices fall on hopes Strait of Hormuz could reopen

August 5, 2026
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Veteran Nigerian Environmental Journalist Tunde Akingbade Dies at 67

July 30, 2026
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

AWSP Welcomes Government Decision to Restore Achimota Forest Reserve

July 30, 2026
Breaking NewsBusinesstop stories

Finance Minister presents mid-year budget review today

July 23, 2026

About Us

Public Agenda is fou­nded and owned by Pu­blic Agenda Communic­ations.

Public Agenda was founded as a public interest Me­dia entity. Its Visi­on is to contribute to building a well-i­nformed society where accurate informati­on dissemination is the cornerstone of a democratic, just and equitable society.

Its mission is to inform, guide and bui­ld responsible citiz­enship and accountab­le decision making and strive for excell­ence in the media in­dustry. Public Agenda Communications is managed by a Board of Directors.

  • Contact us
  • Advertise with us
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?