Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Font ResizerAa
Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
Font ResizerAa
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Search
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Follow US
Breaking NewsWorld News

Iran raid left ’34 US troops with traumatic brain injuries’

Latifa Carlos
Last updated: January 24, 2020 10:57 pm
Latifa Carlos
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

The Pentagon has said that 34 US troops were diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries (TBI) following an Iranian attack on their base in Iraq.

Seventeen troops are still under medical observation, a spokesman said.

President Donald Trump had said no Americans were injured in the 8 January strike, which came in retaliation for the US killing of an Iranian general.

More Read

ABANTU Engages Unsuccessful Women Parliamentary Candidates to Strengthen Political Participation in Ghana
Pakistan unveils 7-point plan for Gaza peace at OIC summit
Bagre Dam Spillage claims life of farmer
Ghana and Nigeria explore electricity for gas barter agreement
Ghana drops to 61st in 2025 Global Peace Index

Mr Trump had cited the supposed lack of injuries in his decision not to strike back against Iran.

But last week, the Pentagon said 11 service members had been treated for concussion symptoms from the attack.

Asked about the apparent discrepancy this week at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Mr Trump said: “I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things, but I would say, and I can report, it’s not very serious.”

“I don’t consider them very serious injuries relative to other injuries I have seen,” he said when asked about possible TBIs.

The Pentagon has said no Americans were killed in the Iranian missile strike on the Ain al-Asad base, with most sheltering in bunkers as missiles rained down.

On Friday, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told reporters that eight of the affected soldiers have been sent back to the US for further treatment, while another nine are being treated in Germany.

Sixteen troops were treated in Iraq and one in Kuwait before all 17 were returned to active duty, officials say.

Mr Hoffman added that the US Defence Secretary Mark Esper was not immediately aware of the injuries in the days after the attack.

Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America, a non-profit organisation, slammed the Trump administration for taking so long to reveal the extent of casualties.

“This is a big deal,” its founder Paul Rieckhoff tweeted. “The American people must be able to trust the government to share information about our sons and daughters in harms way. Nothing is more serious and sacred.”

TBIs are common in warzones, according to the US military.

The most common cause of a TBI for deployed soldiers is an explosive blast, writes the US Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center.

They are classified as mild, moderate, severe or penetrating. A mild TBI is also known as a concussion, and can be caused by a blast’s “atmospheric over-pressure followed by under-pressure or vacuum”.

The air vacuum is capable of penetrating solid objects, making it possible for soldiers to avoid blunt force trauma but still receive an invisible brain injury.

Source: BBC

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

Latest News

Charles Abugre Chairs MiDA Board
August 22, 2025
Ghana cedi is world’s best-performing currency – Mahama tells investors in Japan
August 20, 2025
PAC Faults Communications Ministry Over Missing $6m
August 20, 2025
Burkina Faso’s junta expels top UN official over child rights report
August 19, 2025
OSP report: 17 of the most explosive cases now under full investigation
August 19, 2025
Ghana launches nationwide GPS network to modernize land administration, end land disputes
August 19, 2025
Big pay day for Bondholders as gov’t disburses GH¢9.7bn
August 19, 2025

You Might Also Like

Breaking Newstop storiesWorld News

US State Department revokes 6,000 student visas

August 19, 2025
Breaking NewsDevelopment Agendatop stories

Anti-corruption fight needs collective action, not silos – Mary Addah

August 19, 2025

Police invite political parties for talks on election violence and Akwatia by-election

August 18, 2025
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Mahama grants amnesty to 998 prisoners

August 18, 2025

About Us

Public Agenda is fou­nded and owned by Pu­blic Agenda Communic­ations.

Public Agenda was founded as a public interest Me­dia entity. Its Visi­on is to contribute to building a well-i­nformed society where accurate informati­on dissemination is the cornerstone of a democratic, just and equitable society.

Its mission is to inform, guide and bui­ld responsible citiz­enship and accountab­le decision making and strive for excell­ence in the media in­dustry. Public Agenda Communications is managed by a Board of Directors.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?