Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Font ResizerAa
Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
Font ResizerAa
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Search
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Follow US
Breaking NewsWorld News

New labour laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers a ‘momentous step forward’: ILO

Latifa Carlos
Last updated: October 17, 2019 7:26 pm
Latifa Carlos
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

New legislation in Qatar which will allow foreign workers to freely change jobs and leave the country without the approval of their employers, has been praised by the International Labour Organization (ILO) as “a momentous step forward in upholding the rights of migrant workers.”

The UN agency said the reforms, which will enter into force by January, mark the end of an employee sponsorship system, common across the whole Middle East, known as kafala.

The Gulf State has also endorsed a new law establishing a non-discriminatory minimum wage: a first for the region.

More Read

Mental Health Authority to shut Kumasi spiritual centre housing 2,000 mentally ill persons
Karpowership Ghana trains fisherfolk on fire safety, hygiene and financial management
Unforced Error! Contradictions of the Government’s PCI Decision
14 clandestine miners killed in disused South Africa mine
NAIMOS launches major operation to clear illegal mining along Birim River

“The ILO welcomes these reforms and recognizes the commitment of the State of Qatar to transforming its labour market. These steps will greatly support the rights of migrant workers, while contributing to a more efficient and productive economy,” ILO chief Guy Ryder said after the Council of Ministers unanimously endorsed the draft laws on Wednesday.

Under the new laws, workers will be able to change jobs following an initial probationary period. Previously, they required a no-objection certificate (NOC) from their employers.

The removal of exit permit requirements for all workers, except military personnel, means that they also will be free to leave Qatar, whether temporarily or permanently, without the permission of their employers.

The non-discriminatory minimum wage will apply to all nationalities and all sectors of the labour market. The level will be set later this year.

The ILO has been working with the Qatari authorities since November 2017 through a three-year technical cooperation programme. An ILO Project Office there, established in April 2018, has been supporting the labour reform agenda.

“Qatar is changing. The new tranche of laws will bring an end to kafala and put in place a modern industrial relations system,” said Sharan Burrow, General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation, which supports the partnership.

“We recognize that a new evidence-based minimum wage rate will ensure dignity for migrant workers. We urge the government to announce this as quickly as possible.”

Source: UN News Centre

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

Recent Posts

  • Mental Health Authority to shut Kumasi spiritual centre housing 2,000 mentally ill persons
  • Karpowership Ghana trains fisherfolk on fire safety, hygiene and financial management
  • Unforced Error! Contradictions of the Government’s PCI Decision
  • 14 clandestine miners killed in disused South Africa mine
  • NAIMOS launches major operation to clear illegal mining along Birim River
  • IMF urges Ghana to sustain quarterly electricity tariff adjustments‎
  • Oil prices fall on hopes Strait of Hormuz could reopen
  • Bekwai residents give Chinese quarry firm one-week ultimatum over blasting, environmental concerns
  • Veteran Nigerian Environmental Journalist Tunde Akingbade Dies at 67
  • AWSP Welcomes Government Decision to Restore Achimota Forest Reserve
  • Finance Minister presents mid-year budget review today
  • ECOWAS reaffirms plans to launch single currency in 2027
  • Parliament approves $300m loan for SHS infrastructure expansion
  • Court convicts Wontumi on six illegal mining charges over Samreboi concession
  • Gov’t to build 50,000 houses for teachers – Haruna Iddrisu
  • Honour Ghana, TI-Ghana Partner to Promote Integrity and Values-Based Education
  • ISODEC: Community Water Boards Exchange Best Practices to Strengthen Local Water Management
  • Community Voices Strengthened as ISODEC Successfully Concludes AVID II Project in Mfantseman Municipality

You Might Also Like

Breaking NewsBusinesstop stories

IMF urges Ghana to sustain quarterly electricity tariff adjustments‎

August 11, 2026
Breaking NewsBusinesstop stories

Oil prices fall on hopes Strait of Hormuz could reopen

August 5, 2026
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Veteran Nigerian Environmental Journalist Tunde Akingbade Dies at 67

July 30, 2026
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

AWSP Welcomes Government Decision to Restore Achimota Forest Reserve

July 30, 2026

About Us

Public Agenda is fou­nded and owned by Pu­blic Agenda Communic­ations.

Public Agenda was founded as a public interest Me­dia entity. Its Visi­on is to contribute to building a well-i­nformed society where accurate informati­on dissemination is the cornerstone of a democratic, just and equitable society.

Its mission is to inform, guide and bui­ld responsible citiz­enship and accountab­le decision making and strive for excell­ence in the media in­dustry. Public Agenda Communications is managed by a Board of Directors.

  • Contact us
  • Advertise with us
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?