Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Font ResizerAa
Public Agenda NewsPaperPublic Agenda NewsPaper
Font ResizerAa
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Search
  • General News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Health
  • Development Agenda
  • World News
  • Features & Opinions
  • Election watch
  • Editorial
Follow US
Breaking NewsGeneral News

June 3 victims to gather at disaster site, demand compensation

Latifa Carlos
Last updated: May 31, 2018 12:51 pm
Latifa Carlos
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Victims of the 2015 June 3 flood and fire disaster  will today gather at the site of the incident, near the Kwame Nkrumah Interchange, where over 150 people died.

They are massing up to demand compensation they feel they have been denied.

Some of the victims have complained of economic hardships and have accused the government of neglecting them.

More Read

ABANTU Engages Unsuccessful Women Parliamentary Candidates to Strengthen Political Participation in Ghana
Pakistan unveils 7-point plan for Gaza peace at OIC summit
Bagre Dam Spillage claims life of farmer
Ghana and Nigeria explore electricity for gas barter agreement
Ghana drops to 61st in 2025 Global Peace Index

One of them, Sekyi Thomas spoke to Citi News ahead of the protest and said “we have been suffering. That’s why we want this press conference to get out compensation. They [the governemnt] shouldn’t just promise.”

He said he the victims had heard of significant donations, but nothing had come their way.

“Even the president said he released GHc 50,000 for us and after the hospital, we were to see that money. But after leaving the hospital, we didn’t see anything,” he lamented.

This would be the latest move by victims of the disaster as its three year anniversary approaches.

The former Metropolitan Chief Executive of the Accra, Alfred Oko Vanderpuye and two others have been sued over the disaster.

Other defendants in the suit are Ghana Oil Company Limited (Goil), Accra Metropolitan Assembly, and the National Petroleum Authority.

The 69 plaintiffs, most of whom are victims of the disaster are accusing the defendants of negligence, leading to the accident and are seeking GH¢40 million in compensation.

According to the write of summons sighted by citinewsroom.com some of the victims of the disaster aid they had suffered permanent disfigurement and physical incapacitation “as a result of  the negligence of the Defendants.”

The plaintiffs said they had spent a total of GH¢1.8 million on medical bills and transportation as a result of the incident and had been left unemployable due to the injuries suffered.

In stating the details of the charge against the defendants, the suit said Mr Oko Vandepuye, who is the Member of Parliament for Ablekuma West constituency and was the MCE of Accra when the disaster occurred, failed to ensure that the Odaw river and its related tributaries were desilted.

 

Source: Citifmonline.com

Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

Latest News

Charles Abugre Chairs MiDA Board
August 22, 2025
Ghana cedi is world’s best-performing currency – Mahama tells investors in Japan
August 20, 2025
PAC Faults Communications Ministry Over Missing $6m
August 20, 2025
Burkina Faso’s junta expels top UN official over child rights report
August 19, 2025
OSP report: 17 of the most explosive cases now under full investigation
August 19, 2025
Ghana launches nationwide GPS network to modernize land administration, end land disputes
August 19, 2025
Big pay day for Bondholders as gov’t disburses GH¢9.7bn
August 19, 2025

You Might Also Like

Breaking Newstop storiesWorld News

US State Department revokes 6,000 student visas

August 19, 2025
Breaking NewsDevelopment Agendatop stories

Anti-corruption fight needs collective action, not silos – Mary Addah

August 19, 2025

Police invite political parties for talks on election violence and Akwatia by-election

August 18, 2025
Breaking NewsGeneral Newstop stories

Mahama grants amnesty to 998 prisoners

August 18, 2025

About Us

Public Agenda is fou­nded and owned by Pu­blic Agenda Communic­ations.

Public Agenda was founded as a public interest Me­dia entity. Its Visi­on is to contribute to building a well-i­nformed society where accurate informati­on dissemination is the cornerstone of a democratic, just and equitable society.

Its mission is to inform, guide and bui­ld responsible citiz­enship and accountab­le decision making and strive for excell­ence in the media in­dustry. Public Agenda Communications is managed by a Board of Directors.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?